Pembroke Castle 89.d
Artist: Jones, T.
View of Pembroke Castle in Pembroke, west Wales. The first castle to be built on this site was of earth and timber construction and was built in 1093 by Arnulf de Montgomery, son of the Earl of Shrewsbury. It was not until 1189 that the stone castle depicted here was started by William Marshal. After Marshal’s death his sons continued to build the castle as did William de Valence who inherited it in 1245. Pembroke Castle is situated on a promontory between the Pembroke River and the Monkton Pill. The curtain wall surrounding the castle had five towers and a large gatehouse. The buildings inside the curtain wall include a great hall, a large keep and a chapel.