Principal Front of Brae Mar Castle
Medium: Ink on paper
View of Braemar Castle in Grampian, Scotland. The castle was built by John Erskine, Earl of Mar in 1628. The castle was designed to be both a hunting lodge and a base from which to defend himself against this enemies the Farquharson clan. In 1688 the Farquharsons took Braemar Castle and it was burnt to the ground. Ironically in 1732 it was bought by John Farquharson and then in 1748 the castle was redesigned and rebuilt by the Scottish government to act as a base from which to subdue rebels in the Highlands. The castle curtain wall was rebuilt and the tower was heightened.