Part of Lincluden College
Sketch of the ruins of Lincluden Collegiate Church, Scotland. The church was built on the site of a 12th century Benedictine nunnery. In 1389 Archibald, 3rd Earl of Douglas, replaced the nunnery with an educational college for canons. Extensive building works were carried out by the 4th earl of Douglas to accommodate a tomb built for his wife, Princess Margaret, daughter of King Robert III, who died in 1450. It is thought that much of this work was completed by John Morow who also worked on the Abbeys of Melrose and Paisley. The college was abandoned in the mid 16th century during the Reformation.