PLAN de la Ville & Fortress de KARRICK FERGUS
Medium: Ink on paper
Coloured plan of the town and castle of Carrickfergus, c.1680, which includes an inset of a scheme for new and extensive fortifications on the eastern side of the castle. Carrickfergus is located on the eastern coast of Ireland in the county of Antrim, Ulster and is one of the oldest towns in Northern Ireland. The castle was built by John de Courcy in c.1180 AD and was occupied for 750 years. Strategically situated on a peninsula, it was originally completely surrounded by sea and commanded Belfast Lough. The town built up close to the castle and was an important region until it was eclipsed by the growth of Belfast in the 18th century.