Perspective View of the Linen Hall in Dublin
Artist: Hincks, w.
View of the Linen Hall in Dublin, Ireland. This is the twelfth plate in a series of twelve views of the linen manufacturing process, produced by W. Hincks in the late 18th century. The Linen Hall in Dublin was built in 1728 by the Linen Board as a meeting place for Irish linen drapers and English merchants. Here the bleached and finished linens were sold and then exported. The hall was a plain brick building with over 567 rooms; there were six courts each surrounded by stores, a number of galleries, a coffee room and large yarn hall. It was used as the headquarters of the Linen Board until 1828 when this board was dissolved.