PLAN and SECTIONS of the NEW WORKS proposed at ST. JOHNS
Artist: Mann, Captain Gother
Medium: Ink and colours on paper
Plan of work proposed at the site of St John’s fort in Quebec. The site was first fortified by English settlers in c.1666 and was known as St John’s Fort. In 1748 military engineer Gaspard-Joseph Chaussegros de Lery rebuilt the fort to protect against English invaders. It became known as Fort St Jean however this fort was destroyed and burned down in August 1760. In 1775 it was rebuilt but much of it was damaged during the fighting of the American War for Independence. After this time it was converted into a ship building yard. This plan is interesting because the fort itself is drawn on an overlay attached to the main plan. Underneath this overlay is another drawing of the fort from a more distant perspective.