Perspective View of Fort Ontario
Artist: Pfister, Francis
Medium: Ink and colours on paper
Fort Ontario is situated at Oswego on the shore of Lake Ontario in America. It was built in 1755 and was a wooden stockade designed to hold about 300 soldiers. The fort was destroyed by French troops in 1756. British forces rebuilt Fort Ontario in 1759 but it was destroyed during the American Revolutionary War. Fort Ontario was rebuilt for a third time in 1782. It was surrendered to American forces in 1796 but was destroyed by the British in 1814 to prevent naval supplies reaching Sackets Harbour. A forth fort was built from 1839-1844.