The number of ships using the Port of London had risen steadily throughout the 18th century. Yet the riverside quays were still those first licensed in 1558. In 1793, the decision was taken to ease the congestion by digging deep-water basins where ships could be moored in more secure and controlled circumstances. Plans were ordered for wet docks in Wapping, the Isle of Dogs and Rotherhithe. Daniel Alexander was charged with devising the scheme for the proposed London Docks at Wapping, a 35 acres site that would hold 500 ships. This plan, published in 1799, shows the many streets and squares that would be lost to the new docks - more than half of Wapping south of Pennington Street.
The following year, Parliament passed the London Dock Act and details were published of the land and properties destined for compulsory purchase. Names of the owners and tenants are listed, together with the length of their notice to quit.