Queens' College in the University of Cambridge 61a
Engraver: Cartwright, T.
View from Laundress Green of Queens' College in Cambridge.
Queens' was founded three times in the 15th century and was connected with two queens: Margaret of Anjou, wife of Henry VI, and Elizabeth Woodville, wife of Edward IV.
Its front court and much of its riverside front date from the 15th century. The corner building was built by James Essex in 1756-60. He had originally intended an entire range, but the College could not afford it and in the end only this part was built. Even then it was financially disastrous for the College. Part of the 15th-century riverfront buildings remain intact. Also to be seen in this picture is an old granary and some cottages to the right, and mill buildings to the left.