Redland Chapel, the Marble Tablet over the door in the Vestry
Medium: Ink on paper
A drawing of a marble tablet erected in Redland Chapel, to commemorate its foundation. The inscription reads 'This Chapel built at the Expense of John Cossins Esq. and by him endowed, was opened Oct 5th 1743'. John Cossins was a London gentlemen who came from a wealthy grocer's family. He married Martha Innys, the daughter of a Bristol merchant and settled here. He bought the Redlands estate in the 1730s and replaced the old 17th century manor house with a fashionable mansion lavishly decorated with classical motifs. This chapel interior is also in the classical style with numerous classical decorations and motifs.