Ruins of Margaret's Church in Kent
Medium: Ink wash on paper
View of the ruins of St Margaret's Church, formerly a parish, but now a hamlet in Darenth. This is probably the ruins of the Chapel of St Margaret Helle (or Hilles). Hilles St Margarets used to be a small manor and parish in its own right. However, according to its ecclesiastical jurisdiction, its chapel was subservient to Darenth parish church. It had powers to baptise and bury local people, but marriages could only be solemnised at the parish church. In 1557, it was united with Darenth parish. The ruins of the chapel were in a field to the south west of the manor house. There were thought to be many Roman bricks reused in the chapel building.