Artist and engraver: Sanders, J.
View of the St Mary's Abbey Church of Reculver in Kent. This monastery was established in the late 7th century by followers of St Augustine. The Saxon building survived mostly intact until 1809 when it was scandalously demolished by the local priest. This view shows what is was like approximately 20 years before its destruction. The 7th century church had a cruciform plan and was completely symmetrical. The front with rather austere twin square towers and their spires were added in the 12th century. During its destruction only the towers were kept because of their usefulness as a landmark for sailors navigating the Kent coast