Remains of the Savoy Palace, 1863
Artist: Prout, J
The Savoy Palace, originally a home to the Count of Savoy in the 13th century, was rebuilt in 1501 as a hospital for the poor. This lasted until 1702, when the hospital was formally dissolved. By the late-18th century most of the buildings were in ruins and the whole site was demolished to make room for the approach to Waterloo Bridge in the early 19th century.