Representation of a very curious brass in Gorleston Church Suffolk
Engraving of a brass of a 14th century knight. A knight was a mounted soldier who performed military service for a noble man. In return for land or money the knight served for a set number of days. The church in which the brass stands is a chapel of ease in South town, near Yarmouth and is dedicated to St Mary. Originally the settlement of South town was independent, but in the 16th century it was united with Gorleston and Southtown’s parish church was demolished. The chapel of ease which was made from a distinctive yellow brick was built in 1830 by J. J. Scoles.