Race Ground, Brighthelmstone
Engraver: Alken, [Samuel]
In the late 18th century, Brighton became a popular resort for wealthy invalids. Many fashionable people arrived, following a trend for sea-bathing as a health restorative. New townhouses were built for visitors and new entertainments were needed. An assembly hall was built for gatherings, and in 1783 a racecourse was opened, taking advantage of the popularity that horse racing already enjoyed in the Sussex Downs. The audience stand at White Hawk Down was added in 1788. The drawing is in the caricatured, knotty style associated with Thomas Rowlandson.