Ruins of St Mary's Abbey at York, with the Minster and Multangular Tower in the distance
Engraver: Jukes, Francis
View of the ruins of St Mary's Abbey at York. The Abbey was established in c.1086 by King William Rufus. It was dedicated to St Olave and under Royal patronage, it was to become one of the wealthiest and most powerful Benedictine monasteries in England. The abbey was built on a spot just outside the city walls which had been donated by Alan, Earl of Richmond. Little remains of the Norman church but the ruins in this print date from the 13th century. The monastery was closed in 1539 when the building and lands were confiscated by the crown. This print by Jukes was taken from an original drawing in the possession of A. Rhodes.