South East View of Ely Cathedral
Engraver: Dubourg, M.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
South East view of Ely Cathedral in Cambridgeshire. A Saxon Minster was founded here and rebuilt after the Norman Conquest. In 1109 Ely was made a Bishopric's see. Its status as a monastic cathedral allowed it to escape destruction in the 1530s when its monastery was dissolved. This print shows the Norman west tower, and 13th century Octagonal Tower. Also the 13th century choir and alter and south transept. Daniel Defoe visited in the early 18th century and reported 'Ely, whose, cathedral , standing in a level flat country, is seen far and wide' but that it was in a bad state of repair.