Southe Benfleet Church Essex
Artist: Stockdale, F.W.L.
A pretty watercolour of St Mary's, the parish church at South Benfleet. This shows the 14th century west tower which has a flat roof with no spire or battlements. The oldest parts of the church date to the Norman period and it was built of Kentish ragstone. It had aisles added in the Perpendicular style. It has has a particularly fine timber porch of c.1450.