Sections of the Batteries at Tilbury Fort and Gravesend Fort
Artist: Hyde Page, Captain Thomas
Medium: Ink on paper
The Thames and Medway regions in the east cost of England were particularly vulnerable to attack because of the easy access to London. Tilbury Fort was built between 1670 and 1684 by a Dutch engineer, Sir Bernard de Gomme. It was situated on the site of an earlier block house built during the reign of Henry VIII. The New Tavern Fort was first built in 1780 to defend Gravesend and the River Thames against naval attack by the French. It was updated a number of times over the next 150 years most notably by General Gordon between 1865 and 1879. These plans and sections accompanied a report made to the Board of Ordnance by Captain Page on the state pf the Fortifications.