South West View of the Cathedral Church of Gloucester
Engraver: Lewis, G.
Medium: Aquatint with etching
South West view of Gloucester Cathedral Church. This is architecturally interesting because it has one of the earliest surviving Romanesque great abbey churches. It also has some of the earliest Perpendicular style tracery. Prior to the Reformation the Cathedral was the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter, established on the site of an even earlier Saxon Benedictine house. The west end was rebuilt in 1420 by Abbot Morwent. In 1540, it was one of six new cathedrals established by Henry VIII in the old abbey churches. Daniel Defoe visited the Cathedral in the early 18th century and commented 'The Cathedral is an old venerable pile, with very little ornament within or without, yet 'tis well built; and tho' plain, it makes together, especially the tower, a very handsome appearance'.