South View of Northleach Church
South View of Northleach Church in Gloucestershire. This is one of the most prominent and impressive of the Cotswold Wool Churches. Its building was due to its patron, John Fortey, a wealthy wool merchant, who supported it during his lifetime and upon his death in 1458/9, he left £300 for its completion. As can be seen in this view, the church had a particularly impressive south porch with a chamber above it lit huge four light windows. There are some good examples of 15th century carvings of saints on the porch and on the roof tall crocketed pinnacles and a central crocketed bell-turret. The west tower is built in four diminishing stages.