South East View of the Cathedral Church of Winchester
Engraver: Reeve, R.
A south east view of Winchester Cathedral in Hampshire. Winchester Cathedral was begun in 1079 in the Romanesque style. It was the seat for one of England's richest Bishoprics and originally was a centre of pilgrimage to St Swithun's shrine. Daniel Defoe visited Winchester in the early 18th century and commented that although it had a magnificent interior, 'the outside of the church is as plain and course, as if the founders had abhor'd ornaments.....There is neither statue or a nich for a statue, to be seen on all the outside; no carv'd work, no spires, towers, pinacles, balustrades.....It has no steeple, but a short tower cover'd flat, as if the top of it had fallen down, and it had been cover'd in haste to keep the rain out'.