Sandown Bay, Isle of Wight
Artist: Barth, S.
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
View of Sandown Bay on the eastern coast of the Isle of Wight. The name Sandown is derived from its geographic position on a sandy river plain, and Sandown Bay is well known for its five miles of sandy beach. The long, flat beach meant that this area was vulnerable to attack and in 1537 a fort was built to protect the coast. This fort fell into the sea and a replacement was built in 1632. Again the fort was built too close to the sea and it too disintegrated into the sea so a third fort was built in the early 20th century. Sandown became a popular seaside resort in the Victorian period.