South West View of Chalk Chink Church
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
South west view of St Mary's the parish church of Chalk in Kent. This view particularly shows the west tower, which was built in the 15th century, which had three stages, and has battlements and a small turret on the roof. The tower is a landmark on the A2 road from London to Dover. The porch seen in this view was added at the same time as the tower, and has a image niche above the doorway. To the left of the nave is the north aisle which was added in the 12th century, but the south aisle no longer exists, being demolished in 1759.