Sandgate in Kent, with Romney Marsh in the distance
Aquatinter: Havell, R. & D.
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
View from Sandgate Castle of Sandgate in Kent with the Romney Marshes in the distance. Sandgate is one of a series of castles built by Henry VIII along the south coast. It was of a very similar design to his forts at Deal, Walmer and Sandown - they all had semi-circular bastions. The accounts for its building, show it took from March 1539 to October 1540 and skilled masons, bricklayers and carpenters were hired from all over Kent. Building material was taken the dissolved monasteries. In 1806 the castle was severely altered, with the outer walls on the seaward side being lowered or demolished and the centre becoming a gunport. This view of 1812, shows it after these alterations.