Somerset House and the New Church, Strand
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
View of Somerset House and the new church on the Strand in London. Somerset House was a former Tudor and Stuart Royal Palace, which was demolished in 1775. It was then rebuilt by architect Sir William Chambers as it was intended to be used as government offices. It was the home of the Royal Academy of Arts from 1771, the Royal Society from 1780, the Society of Antiquaries from 1781, and also the Royal Navy and Stamp Office. Also seen in this view is St Mary Le Strand, in the middle of the street. This small Baroque church was one of the first to be built under the Fifty Church Act of 1711. It was designed by James Gibbs and built between 1714-17.