S. S. E. View of Stepney Church
Artist: J. W.
South View of the Church of St Dunstan and All Saints, an early church was rebuilt in the 10th century by St Dunstan, then Bishop of London. As the population of Stepney parish increased, more churches were built nearby, including Limehouse in 1715, Spitalfields in 1728 and Bethnal Green in 1743. It however remains one of London's larger medieval churches. During the 19th century the church underwent extensive ' restoration' and as a result little of its ancient stonework is visible.