South Front of the Second Principal Court
Engraver: Jukes, Francis
This view of Hampton Court Palace depicts the South Front of the Second Principal Court or Inner Court. The Inner Courtyard was surrounded by the more official rooms of the Palace such as the Great Hall. It was also bordered on the east side by the private apartments of Cardinal Wolsey and the suite of rooms for the King and Queen. To the left of this picture can be seen the clock tower which was rebuilt in 1528 by the King’s Master Mason John Molton and named after Anne Bolyn who was then still the King’s mistress. The clock on the tower also dates from 1528 and the first official Keeper of the Clock was John Fitzwater.