SW view of Morpeth chantery now the grammar school
South-west view of the chantry at Morpeth. It was founded in 1296 and was built along with a new stone bridge over the River Wansbeck. The chantry was built as a place of prayer for the souls of the deceased, but was later used as a grammar school, which closed in 1846. The south and east sides of the building were remodelled in 1738. It was successfully restored in 1980.