Saloon at the Marine Pavilion, Brighthelmstone
The Prince of Wales first visited Brighton in 1783 and this marine pavilion was built in his honour in 1787 by Henry Holland. The building was essentially two houses: that of the prince's mistress, Maria Fitzherbert, and the neighbouring farmhouse owned by Thomas Kemp. Holland connected them by means of a classical rotunda. The elaborate interior glimpsed here was replaced in 1802 by a more exotic, Chinese-inspired design provided by Crace & Sons.