South East View of Shoreham Church
Artist: Whiebela, J.
View of the church of St Mary de Haura in Shoreham, Sussex. It has a Norman Central Tower and transcepts. The local de Braose family gave the church to the french monastic house of St Florent at Saumur in a deed of 1103. It was partly rebuilt in 1170 by a grander building. The church straddles the end of the Romanesque and the beginning of Gothic church buildings. The grand size and style of the church is completely out of keeping with other Sussex parish churches.