South-west view of St Edmund's church, Salisbury
Artist: Buckler, John
St Edmunds was the third parish church built to serve the growing population of Salisbury. Construction began around 1269 and space could only be found on the north-east outskirts of the town. A large church, it supported a college of priests living in the nearby college. The church tower collapsed in 1653, damaging the original nave, which had to be demolished. This picture shows the structure put in its place.