Section on the length of Castle Cornet
Cartographer: Romer, W.
Medium: Ink on paper
Profile of the length of the complex of buildings of Castle cornet, Guernsey. The castle is situated on a rocky islet in St Peter Port and was originally built to defend Guernsey from French invaders after King John relinquished Normandy in 1204. A perimeter wall was built around the island and a large defensive gateway was installed. The castle was constantly being modified and further fortifications added, and the most modern buildings date from the 17th century. This plan has been drawn on a scale of 40 feet to 1 inch and the Governor’s Pavilion, the prison and a guard house are clearly identified.