Section and Elevation of Fort Ontario at Oswego
Artist: Sowers, T.
Medium: Ink and colours on paper
View of Fort Ontario on the shore of Lake Ontario at the mouth of the River Oswego in America. The fort was built by British troops in 1755 on the north east side of the river. It was originally of wooden construction and was large enough to hold 300 men. Because of its strategic position on Lake Ontario those who controlled of the fort had power over the fur trade with York and Kingston, and this meant that the fort changed hands many times in the 18th and early 19th centuries.