The Schools of Cambridge
Engraver: Hassell, J.
View of the courtyard of the Old Schools of Cambridge. This building represents the university as a whole, not forming the part of any particular college. They evolved out of lecture rooms which were originally based in ordinary town houses. The building of the Divinity School was the first, being completed by. 1400. The next was the Canon Law School c.1460-c.1460 and the Civil Law and Philosophy School and Library 1457-70. This picture shows the west range Canon Law building and on the east range a completely new 18th century building. The 15th century range was pulled down and replaced in 1754-8 by a Palladian style building designed by architect Stephen Wright.