The South Front of Senate House
Artist and engraver: Malton, Thos.
View of the square showing the south side of the University Senate House in Cambridge and to the right Great St Mary's Church. The Senate House was one of a number of designs for university buildings put forward by James Gibbs in 1722. He also intended a registry, printing house and library but only the Senate House was built. It was built between 1722-4 in the new Palladian style. As can be seen in this print it is decorated with flattened Corinthian columns, the windows have alternating triangular and semi-circular shapes, and in the middle are giant columns supporting a pediment. Inside it was one large room without partitions. It is a splendid example of a late perpendicular church and was built from around 1478 and not complete until c.1600. It was intended to be the University Church and as such it had a particularly fine interior.