The Royal Dockyard at Plymouth ...at the time of his Majesty's Excursion to the Port
Artist and engraver: Dodd, R.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of the Royal Dockyard at Plymouth during a visit by George III in 1789. The Dockyard here was founded by William III in the late 17th century. This was equipped with a dry dock, wet dock, officer's terrace, ropery and storehouses. It was located on the Hamoaze, which was a sheltered estuary of the River Tamar. By the late 18th century more space was needed and between 1763-72 the Dockyard was greatly enlarged. This picture shows a barge with the Royal flag, rowing the King. Meanwhile several of the sailing ships are firing a salute while crowds gather to watch the Royal visit.