The Tap House, Gate and Chappel of Tilbury Fort in Essex from the New Barracks Septr 8th 1759.
View of building's inside Tilbury Fort, located opposite Gravesend on the River Thames in Essex. The fort was built between 1670-83, in the reign of Charles II, in order to guard against and attack by French or Dutch ships up the Thames, and stop them reaching the capital. It was designed by Sir Bernard de Gomme, one of the king's military engineers. The fort was a pentagon shape - with bastions in each corner. These buildings were along a wall on the riverside. The taller building on the right is the Chapel with a guard room underneath. The central building is the gatehouse to the Fort from the River Thames (also called the watergate). It is one of only two entrances to the fort - the other being on land side. Behind the gatehouse is a wharf and crane, for ships to stop at. The Dutch style gable on the exterior facade of the gatehouse can just be seen in this view.