The Garden Front of Redland Court being the Seat of John Cossins Esq 1735
Artist: De Wilstar, J.J.
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
Architectural drawing showing the front of Redland Court, in Redland, now part of Bristol. This was the Seat of John Cossins Esq., a London gentlemen who came from a wealthy grocer's family. He marrried the daughter of a Bristol merchant and settled here. He bought the Redland estate in the 1730s and replaced the old 17th century manor house with a fashionable classical mansion. The house is 13 bays wide and symmetrical. The central block has rusticated brickwork on the ground floor and the upper floor has columns topped by a pediment, heavily decorated with cherubs and heraldry. The roof is balustraded and decorated with elaborate classical style urns. Each wing has a corner tower with a small cupola crowned turret. There is also balustrading along the length of front on ground level and on the stairs leading up to the entrance. The architect is J. Strahan.