The Remains of the Roman Pavements lying in the Churchyard at Woodchester in Gloucestershire
Drawing of a section of a Roman mosaic found under the churchyard at Woodchester in Gloucestershire. The accompanying note describes its circumstances lying 'four feet underground, whose length is about 160 feet; this is esteemed the most curious piece of Mosaic work in England, and is composed of cubes of half and inch of the same colours herein expressed'. This floor belonged to an important Roman Villa of 64 rooms. It was excavated by Samuel Lysons in 1793-6 who published his results in a book in 1797. This section is from the Orpheus Mosaic, so-called because it is centred on Orpheus playing his lyre. This section shows the two concentric circles of beautifully drawn and coloured birds and animals at the middle of the mosaic. There are also a number of attractive borders showing floral designs and geometric patterns. The floor was heated by flues underneath it and is one of the finest examples of its type in Roman Britain.