The Priory at Hitchin, the seat of John Ratcliffe Esq
Artist: Baskerfield, Thomas
Medium: Ink on paper
View of Hitchin Priory in Hertfordshire. The priory was built in 1539 after land here was granted to the Order of the White Friars- the Carmelites, by King Edward II. The priory was prosperous giving aid to the poor and sick and attracting many scholars however it was closed during Henry VIII’s dissolution of the monasteries. The lands were passed to the Ratcliffe family in the late 16th century.