The Crypt of St. John of Jerulsalem, Hereford
Artist: Fisher, S.
View of the Preaching Cross in the grounds of the Blackfriars Monastery in Hereford. The cross, which dates from the 14th century and stands in the cemetery of the monastery, is the only one surviving today in England. It was built in the Gothic architectural style and is hexagonal in shape with three steps leading up to it. A central column is surrounded by six arches and open panels and it was in the small space between these arches that the friars would stand to preach. The cross was restored in approximately 1864 by Sir Gilbert Scott who added a cross to the top of the structure (with a shaft which was far longer than the original would have been) and enclosed the spaces in which the friars preached.