The Royal Dock Yard at Chatham
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
The first ship known to be built at Chatham was launched in 1585. According to Philiport in 1659 there were "Arsenals, storehouses and ship-docks erected here by the late King Charles". In the early 18th century a completely new series of administrative buildings and storehouses were built. Around 1720, Daniel Defoe commented approvingly that: "the buildings here are indeed like the ships themselves, surprisingly large, and in the several kinds beautiful....the largest in dimension and the most in number that are anywhere to be seen in the world." The artist Robert Dodd, who exhibited at the Royal Academy, specialised in maritime scenes in aquatint (etching on copper), which was a popular medium of that time.