The north view of the Church of St John the Baptist at Margate
This has been a site of worship since AD1050. In the 18th century, Margate developed into a fashionable seaside resort, and the parish church had to adapt to an increasing number of visitors from London. New galleries were added to support the swelling congregations. The church building depicted here was substantially renovated in 1875.