The West View of Broadstairs in the Isle of Thanet
Engraver: Barron, W.A.
West View of the village of Broadstairs in Kent. Broadstairs is located in the north eastern corner of Kent, on the Isle of Thanet. It was originally known as Bradstow and its main industries were fishing and ship building. By the late 18th century smuggling also happened here and because of the high import duties on tea, tobacco and alcohol, it was very profitable. This view shows the village from inland, with its straggling rows of houses. There are also some farm workers working the fields and a windmill behind the village. This is one of four views of Broadstairs published in 1793 by J. Laporte and W.A. Barron.