The New Buildings on the west front of Lancaster Castle
Engraver: Bluck, J.
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
View showing the new buildings on the west front of Lancaster Castle, comprehending the County Hall, Grand Jury Room and John of Gaunt's Tower. The medieval castle was remodelled in the 18th and 19th century. In 1788 Thomas Harrison made designs to alter its use to a shire hall and gaol. This view however shows the semi-circular Shire Hall which he built between 1796 and 98 (which was later completed by J. Gandy). It was built in the Gothic style to complement the castle, and in fact Harrison choose the Gothic Perpendicular style with its large windows and perpendicular tracery. This view shows the seven sided semi-polygonal shape and the battlements with pinnacles.