The Encampment on the Museum Garden
Artist and engraver: Sandby, Paul
Medium: Aquatint with etching
This image shows militiamen encamped outside the British Museum. Originally housed in Montagu House in Bloomsbury, the museum opened to the public for the first time in 1759. During the late-18th and early-19th centuries, the museum received so many new collections that Montagu House was demolished in 1842 to make way for a larger classical-style building.