The Conservatory at Carlton House
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Carlton house was originally built for Lord Carlton in the early 18th century, and was by 1809 the home of the Prince of Wales (later George IV). He set about improving it in typically extravagant style. Robert Smirke, architect of the British Museum, thought it "overdone with finery". In June 1811 a particularly lavish party was held here to celebrate the beginning of the Prince's regency.