The staircase at Carlton House
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Carlton House, originally built for Lord Carlton in the early 18th century, was by 1809 the home of the Prince of Wales (later George IV). He set about improving it in typically extravagant style. Robert Smirke, architect of the British Museum, thought it "overdone with finery". The marbled entrance hall of Carlton House led to this elegant double staircase.