The Fortress (which inclosed the Grand Pavillion) in Green Park, with the ascent of the Balloon
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
As part of the 1814 peace celebrations to mark the end of war with France, a Gothic castle was erected in Green Park. An impressive array of fireworks were let off from the battlements, engulfing the castle in dense smoke. When the smoke had cleared, to the amazement of the crowd, a new building emerged - a brightly lit and lavishly decorated classical temple. On this occasion another spectacle was organised - a hot air balloon was launched above the Green Park. Ballooning in Green Park had been seen before. It had been introduced to London in the 1780s, and had caught on as a popular craze. But this time the balloon, driven by Mr. Windham Sadler made a particularly rapid ascent.